Summer BBQ Herb Chicken
Juicy marinated chicken breasts packed with flavour. Perfect for the BBQ with all your favourite sides!
Summer technically started a couple weeks ago but for me it doesn’t really feel like summer is here until July. Summer makes me want to work less, be outside more and eat fresh, healthy food. Cooking in the house just doesn’t make sense when it’s already hot and something about BBQ food tastes so much better.
The other day I had my family over for dinner and we cooked everything outside. Even with the crazy wind we still enjoyed a perfect summer meal on the deck. The morning of the dinner my brother and his fiancé told me they’d be in town. I had bought steaks from the butcher, who happened to be closed that day so I couldn’t pick up more. I quickly threw together a marinade for chicken breasts that highlighted the flavours in the side dishes and it turned out so delicious that I made it again the next weekend for a pot luck at a friends house.
For the side dishes I turned to Pinterest for inspiration…
I made this summer quinoa salad and it was a huge hit! I substituted Pom Wonderful pomegranate juice instead of the pomegranate molasses, and excluded the feta, and it turned out great.
This potato salad was great served cold. I made it using rainbow baby potatoes to add some colour.
Baked parmesan zucchini turned out great on the BBQ. I cooked it in a tin foil boat so the oil and parmesan wouldn’t get all over the BBQ. It didn’t get quite as golden and crispy but you could always finish it under the broiler. I also substituted the dried herbs for fresh to take advantage of great summer flavour.
I’ve fallen in love with using fresh herbs! I’ve been adding them to so many dishes and salads to give them bright flavour and an extra somethin’ somethin’.
Now for the reason we’re here…
For the chicken I wanted to bring all the flavours together so I used a little from recipe one and a little from recipe two and it turned out great. The chicken was juicy and packed with flavour.
This chicken is also really good on top of a salad and in wraps. Let me know what you think when you make it!
- 1tbsp spoon coconut oil
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 large mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup red lentils
- Himalayan salt & black pepper
- Handful of spinach
- 4 cups water
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot
- Add onion and garlic, cook till translucent
- Stir in thyme, cumin, oregano, turmeric, salt and pepper and cook 1-2 minutes
- Add thinly sliced carrots, cook 2-3 minutes
- Stir in butter and chopped mushrooms
- Cook until mushrooms are golden brown
- Add bay leaves and 3 cups of water, bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins
- Add 1 cup water and lentils
- Simmer 5 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Take out bay leaves and stir in spinach until wilted
- Before adding lentils check for any discoloured ones, throw them out and rinse the rest.
- This makes three bowls of soup. Make it on Sunday and have delicious and healthy meals all week.