Simple, Healthy + Happy Red Lentil Soup
This red lentil soup has quickly become my go to for busy weeknight dinners.
For me there’s nothing better than relaxing on the couch with a hot cup of tea, knowing that a delicious pot of soup is boiling away on the stove. Something about soup is so appealing to me. It’s easy to make, heart warming, nurturing and there’s only one pot to clean after! I also love that it cooks itself. I don’t need to constantly watch the pot so I can focus on the rest of my to-do list.
This hearty lentil soup is part of the Hungry Happy Healthy meal plan. Download the recipe and a peek inside the ultimate meal plan for busy women to get you on track before holiday madness completely takes over.
The best thing about this soup? It’s filling and still healthy. Who says eating well is a sacrifice?
Why Red Lentils?
Red lentils are an amazing source of protein and a great substitute for meat if you’re new to meat-free eating. They’re also full of fibre which keeps you full longer, balances your blood sugar and improves your digestion. On top of that red lentils are packed with nutrients like potassium, magnesium, iron and B vitamins which help your muscles and blood vessels relax, which means you’re relaxed and improve your energy. Bye cramps and mid-afternoon latte runs.
Turmeric: The Golden God
Turmeric has been talked about a lot lately and for good reason. It’s been used for centuries in Eastern countries as a spice and a health boosting supplement. Turmeric is the golden child of anti-inflammatories. Stress, exercise and poor eating habits cause inflammation so eating turmeric can help reduce symptoms of pain, depression and poor digestion. Turmeric is like the key to health and happiness.
- 1tbsp spoon coconut oil
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 large mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup red lentils
- Himalayan salt & black pepper
- Handful of spinach
- 4 cups water
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot
- Add onion and garlic, cook till translucent
- Stir in thyme, cumin, oregano, turmeric, salt and pepper and cook 1-2 minutes
- Add thinly sliced carrots, cook 2-3 minutes
- Stir in butter and chopped mushrooms
- Cook until mushrooms are golden brown
- Add bay leaves and 3 cups of water, bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins
- Add 1 cup water and lentils
- Simmer 5 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Take out bay leaves and stir in spinach until wilted
- Before adding lentils check for any discoloured ones, throw them out and rinse the rest.
- This makes three bowls of soup. Make it on Sunday and have delicious and healthy meals all week.